Turmeric Latte Shortbread
Okay guys… I ate a bit too much short bread over Christmas. All for the purpose of this recipe, of course. And now, we have a delicious, probiotic rich and SUPER healthy Turmeric Latte Shortbread recipe on our hands!
There are so key ingredients in this recipe that really make it SUPER HEALTHY. Which is great, who doesn’t love a recipe that’s super healthy, right?!
What makes it super healthy is:
- Refined sugar free. And soooo much less sweetener. This wasn’t a ‘sub typical sugar for an unrefined version’, this was a ‘it doesn’t need nearly as much and I’m not adding it’. The sweetener we used was Coconut Nectar and Turmeric by Jimalie. Totally recommend, but you could also use rice malt syrup, honey or whatever you prefer.
- Green Banana Flour – it’s the highest grade and level of resistance starch in the world. Resistance Starch Resistant Starch is a food source that resists digestion in the small intestine and hence feeds your microbiome to restore gut health in a prebiotic nature. It can help with weight loss, increased metabolism, increased absorption of antioxidants and minerals (especially calcium), promote colon health, prevent diabetes and lower cholesterol. If you don’t have it, definitely order it, but if you’re in a rush for the recipe, you could use a buckwheat flour.
- Amazonia Co’s Golden Latte – inspired by the Ayurvedic ‘Golden Milk’ tradition, this blend offers anti-inflammatory benefits, it’s immunity boosting, has incredible antioxidant properties and has been known to assist in disease prevention and treatment. For years. Not just with this new superfood era, it’s been a favourite for thousands of years.
Best part? It actually taste G O O D. To be honest, I was a little worried. I was like look, super healthy, let’s bake it and give it a go. I liked it.. I took it to work, and they came back to the cookie jar/container for seconds… seconds! You should have seen my face when I saw them reach in for more, it made my day. It also made up my mind about sharing the recipe.
Okay, the recipe. Here it is, enjoy. If you can be bothered to remake it (which ya should!), please do tag me so I can see @kbsugarfree x
- 1 cup Natural Revolution Banana Flour
- 3 tbsp potato flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp Amazonia Golden Latte mix
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup + 2bsp Jimalie Coconut Nectar and Turmeric
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 4 tbsp coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 large egg (you could use a CHIA EGG to make it vegan!)
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Firstly, whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, egg, vanilla extract and your choice of sweetener.
- Add in the wet mixture to the dry, stirring until well incorporated.
- Pack the dough into a rectangle shape and cover tightly with glad wrap. Place in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees and line your baking trays with parchment paper
- Remove the dough from the fridge and kneed until able to be rolled out. If you try and roll it straight away, it will likely crumble. Once you knead it, it will spread evenly when rolled.
- Cut dough with your chosen cookie cutters. Transfer to prepared baking trays. Re-roll unused dough to get the most out of it!
- Bake cookies for approximately 10 minutes, until golden brown on the edges.
- Remove from oven and transfer onto wire rack to cool before icing.